Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Researching which if any foods can help build or even keep transfused platelets healthy,

I have run into some of the most heated arguments over that topic. Many people claim nothing helps build platelets in your body. Today, I had to pack in two transfusions at clinic. This is the first batch I've had since last Friday's release from the hospital, walking out like a sloshing teacup full to the rim. My body is both new and sick and the same time, and my "Princess and the Pea" sensitivities I already had before diagnosis are only heightened these days. Good to Know: Odds are, if you are on steroids, they make you crazy. So cry if you have to, but don't be hard on yourself. They will pass. And, you need the steroids so you won't get serum sickness. Get your moon face and know the drugs are working for you. Take them, but remember calm -- it's the steroids talking, not you.

I look at this as a positive thing though. Maybe I can help you with my experience. Heart attack or acid reflux? It's good to know the difference when you are panicky. Odds are, you are just having a mild reaction. Your body will tell you what you need to know. Calm down and breathe. Always breathe smoothly, it will help.

The first batch of platelets was skunky, and I only got a boost from 17k to 29k. It didn't feel good going in. It congested me and went to my throat. Good to Know: Relax, and Don't Panic. The nurse cleared my PICC line with saline, and the tight throat went away Plus, it cleared my sinuses. Weird, but I'll take it. Saline is a good thing, just get them to slow-push it if you are the slightest bit concerned. I need to research this saline solution bit. The second batch boosted me up to 79k. Thank you, God, and thank whomever donated those platelets, batches one and two. Blood donors are absolutely unsung heroes.

Healthy platelets produced in a normal body run from about 200-400k and last about 7-10 days before the body processes them away, filtered through the spleen mainly. I asked the nurse draining in the last bits of bag two, "What can I do, what can I eat, can I do anything, to hold onto these platelets?" A nurse looked me down flatly, saying if she knew the answer to that, she wouldn't have been at work that day giving me two bags of transfused platelets.

However, she did mention something curious, saying she heard that walnuts may help in lowering your platelet count. She had a patient experience a low platelet count after chomping on a bag of Christmas walnuts. I'll research that, too.

Boy the things I have read on message boards so far...I witnessed a heated thread argument on a discussion board where the claims of one user, who said eating strawberry PopTarts boosted her platelet production, set off a firey thread that ended in damn near a custard pie war. As entertaining as it was, it did make me stop and think about nutrition as usual. Does sugar affect platelet counts? What foods help build platelet counts. Today, I did find some helpful information to post, finally!

Lifted without permission from Baby Corner by Anne Sommer, LM, but I bet she wouldn't mind. Enjoy!

Platelets are an important part of the blood clotting mechanism that will come into play following your delivery, when the placenta separates from the uterus and the maternal blood must clot. A low platelet count can usually be remedied by doubling the customary dosage of folic acid, from 400 mcg to 800.

Folic acid can be obtained from a variety of foods such as green leafy vegetables. Some foods with the highest sources (greater than 75 mcg per serving) are: orange juice, asparagas, beans, lentils, spinach and nutritional yeast. Good sources of folic acid are avocados, corn, cabbage, lettuce, liver, peanuts, peas, sesame seeds and tomato juice.

Anne Sommers, LM


More info on folic acid and folate from patient.co.uk:

Folic acid is a vitamin and is needed to make new cells in the body, including red blood cells. The body does not store very much folic acid. You need a regular fresh supply to keep healthy. Many foods contain folic acid including vegetables such as spinach, sprouts, broccoli, green beans, and potatoes. Kidney and liver are also rich in folic acid.

A normal balanced diet contains enough folic acid. However, a lack of folic acid will cause anaemia, and sometimes other symptoms.


3 comments:

bushra said...

do you know, i might ask the dad. he's got tons of books about how certain foods can help.

me said...

Oh awesome -- please do -- that would be excellent! We're eating lots of leafy greens, avocados, brocolli....well, and the occasional Chocolate cookie. Dark chocolate, ya know, has to be good, riiiiiight? ;)

Anonymous said...

platelets are one of the 7 factors that allow blood to clot. Vitamin K is necessary for the production of platelets. Paprika is a great source of vitamin K. Learn how to cook some Hungarian foods like chicken or beef paprikash, or goolash.
My dad is undergoing chemo and we have resorted to lots of the style foods. He has not once yet had a low platelet count.