Sunday, February 11, 2007

Today's project: patience and repair.

The following is a duplicate entry I posted over at The Yarden. When you are sick, your world can become very small yet largely overwhelming at the same time. But, when you begin to heal, it's a long process that can drive you crazy between stages of increasing health and wellness. To keep yourself from cabin-fever stir-crazy, my advice: Expand your world from the inside out and make something with your hands and with your mind.



Today's project: patience and repair.

Well, the moment I say we're going to get in the yarden to plant roses, the weather went very cold on us for a few days ~ down in the 30s with rainshowers, no ice here though. Isn't that always the way? But that is good in the end. It makes you look for other things to tidy up while the sun shines somewhere behind the clouds, waiting. Soon enough, it will be really hot and humid here. Too hot and humid if you ask me. I like the occasional snows of Memphis, but the flowers and vegetation here in Mississippi can get Amazon-lush quickly, and it's big and bold and beautiful when it comes on.

But for now, here I am: In the sewing room turned beadshop, with the gas heater burning low behind me. I'm repairing my dad's work of art that I pilfered from his workshop awnings. He made this windchime years ago out of some huge, spent caliber shells (obviously military) and a lead fishing line weight for the *dinger.* The fishing line has rotted, and the coffee can lid he used as the windcatcher crumbled in my hands as I carefully lifted it down. I found this coffee can lid he had labeled, carefully, as a thorough research chemist would tend to do. And I love that it's his handwriting, so it's perfect.

The structure it all hangs on was carefully twisted from heavy gauge wire that is now mostly rust and weathered bits of corrosion. But to me, it's beautiful. I'm keeping it as long as it holds up because he made it with his own hands, and it reminds me of him and his spirit, still lingering in the winds around me. I look up at the blue sky and see the color of his eyes. It makes me cry every time I think of him, but I smile at the same time ~ honored to know such a good man who touched so many people's lives in such a giving, laughing way. I thank God for knowing him, and know I will see his eyes and hold his hand one day.

It's what I not only believe, but I know because I've seen it. I promise it exists, if that helps you to know that. And so, we need patience. Patience is so hard. To me, that is the word for the day for about 64 days in a row now. But while you are waiting for whatever it is you are wanting or needing, don't forget to spread around some seeds of goodness. That's one of the reasons we're all here to begin with, I think. And with patience, everything grows. Platelets, roses, and all things good.

~ To have a wonderful day, make it that way. ~

No comments: